Time to revise this page. It was originally created to document the runes on how to use the delicious provided javascript linkroll generator, it then covered the slow and painful death of the service and my attempts to postpone the inevitable.  In late 2019, I found my backup copy and posted it to the blog, the consequent page became too large to edit and the rate of death of the links led me to delete the page. Writing soem tools might have been fun but the usefulness of the list was very questionable. I marked the post as deprecated in July 2022.


About the page, there are some problems with this, most obviously the tags are hidden. I have written some code in python, to parse the html and create a python dictionary, and also some code to build a tag index. I have some code to see if the linked sites are still active but there’s over 3000 bookmarks at it takes some time, and doesn’t distinguish between those that have gone away and those that are being resold. (I need to go through them for continued relevance also.)

The links are held in a pickle database, which could easily be converted to XML or JSON. I have code to delete a record on the basis of a numeric surrogate key. I can build two indices, on has the key and the tags, held as a string, the other has a list of key-tag pairs.

  • Document which sites no linger work and/or are no longer relevant.
  • Define the output formats, html, rss or an active query and if the latter how to host it.
  • Document the delicious date format field
  • Write some restartable HTML status checking code.
  • Amend the index generators ro  write to a file, so there is some persistence

The slow death of delicious’ rss feeds

I originally saved the javascript linkroll code as text in a page, and latterly, from Oct 2013 used Artiss Embeded Code and I located the scripts in code objects. delicious withdrew the javascript. I implemented JP’s Get RSS Feed to fix the withdrawal of the delicious javascript;

I rendered the feed using wordpress. At some time delicious changed their URL from delicious.com back to del.icio.us. At the same time, they decided to insert an advert into the first item of the feed.

This has led to all my bookmark feeds in this wiki breaking, and to asking the question as to whether one wants to fix it as I no longer control the content. I have posted to the wordpress support site to implement a “start from” parameter. I wonder if CSS display:none; properties could be used to supress the first element in the feed.

This wiki has a number of pages which used the del.icio.us feed to expand the articles and to point at my bookmarks. I haven’t decided whether to fix them or not.

I have asked that the plugin is adjusted to exclude the first element and I propose to examine planet to see if I can put a filter into the consumption code lines. See https://davelevy.info/wiki/planet-planet/ for my planet documentation.

See https://davelevy.info/wiki/rendering-rss-on-my-blog-or-wiki/ for my jp-rss-feed documentation and https://wordpress.org/plugins/jps-get-rss-feed/ for Jimmy’s documentation.


6 Replies

  1. This page was updated on 19th Oct 2016, I removed the comments on how to use the original script and documented the changes and outstanding problems.

  2. Gosh, 3¾ years, since I updated this page. I somehow rescued the delicious feed and it is now posted on the blog. I have written some python code to parse it and build some indices and now need to decide if it is worth instantiating them so that the archive can be queried. There’s a couple of design decisions and I need to ensure that those sites that have gone away are accurately marked as such. I also need to delete those bookmarks I no longer have an interest in.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.